Monday, September 21, 2009

Dress Code

By Jamela Gibson

When people think of the North Country the first thing they might think of is cold weather, a lot of snow. But who knew that can change. People in the North Country explore the taste of New York City fashion. Dresscode is a fairly new clothing consignment store that sells fairly used clothes, jewelry belts, shoes and books to their customers. But here’s the twist, customers can sell their clothing to the store and earn fifty percent of what they sell.

The consignment store is located downtown of Plattsburgh on 21 Bridge Street in Plattsburgh, New York, owned by Julie LaPier. The store consists of named brand clothing such as Pacsun, Abercrombie & Fitch, Old Navy, American Eagle, Ed Hardy and many more.

How did you get started?

I found out that I was loosing my teaching job here at the local school and I decided to open up “Dresscode.”

How did you come up with the name “Dresscode?”

My daughter Jessica who was thirteen at the time was figuring out names. She and I were at American Eagle trying on a skirt and I said does it fit the Dresscode and she came out the dressing room saying “Mom that’s a great name for the store.” So we decided to name the store Dresscode.


What kind of clothing do you sell?

All brand clothes that high school kids love. I base what to put on the clothing racks based on what’s popular. If skinny jeans are popular among high school and college students then I’ll sell them. If they’re not popular, then I won’t sell them. American Eagle, Abercrombie, Hollister, etc, are what’s popular among the high school and college students at this point, but high school kids won’t wear Old Navy or Gap splattered on the front of the shirts. AGG jeans, James Pears and boutique jeans are what college students would wear rather than high school students.




How do you come up with the prices?

I base it on clearance clothes out like American Eagle or Old Navy. If a pair of American Eagle jeans are $19.99. I go for like between $13.00 and $16.00. Most people go to consignment shops looking to pay less for their clothing. Not to pay more. My nieces help me out by making some of the jewelry that I sell here.



How long have you been open?

I opened up on August 1st, 2009. But before that I opened on June 1st for consignments and by August 1st, I had pretty much the racks you see here (pointing to the clothes that are hanging up on the clothes racks) all full.

How many customers do you have per day?

When I first opened up I had forty customers per day. Now with the college kids I have thirty customers a day just looking and about twenty of the customers that are just looking actually buy something.




If you are interested in shopping at DressCode and would like to know more information you can do so by visiting…www.thenewdresscode.com or call (518) 825-2633 or going into the store and ask for Julie LaPier.

No comments:

Post a Comment